Class is in Session



Common Mistakes Freshmen Make In College

Class is in session everyone! To all the new students starting their first year in college or high school seniors who are preparing for college next year,  I have a few helpful tips for you this semester. With the help of some upperclassmen I will share the mistakes we made during our first year in college and how to avoid making them. From relationships, academics, health and more.

Many of you know that I can be emotionally driven when it comes to making certain decisions. That was something that carried along with me in my freshmen year. I was extremely high strung and wanted to make all the best grades. I didn't go to any events until the end of my first semester which stunted my networking possibilities. I was constantly depressed and overwhelmed with my new environment, it was wreaking havoc on my mental health! That semester I was not in a healthy mental state and it showed in my school performance. I knew from then on that I was going to ALWAYS put myself first. With all of this being said, make sure that if you feel that you may need to talk to someone or even just have a day to yourself because you feel overwhelmed with your current environment then PLEASE DO SO! Remember that it is okay to not be okay just make sure you don't let those emotions consume you because that is not who you are!

"1 out of every 4 college students suffers from some form of mental illness, including depression. 44 percent of American college students report having symptoms of depression. 75 percent of college students do not seek help for mental health problems. suicide is the third leading cause of death among college students"
-Medically Reviewed by Timothy J. Legg, PhD, CRNP  &  Written by Michael Kerr

What mistake did you make as a freshmen?

 "Not living. I was so scared about flunking out that I didn't socialize. I didn't go to anything, not even our undergraduate library which was obviously a library designated to others like me. I stayed in the law school library because I wanted 0 distractions. That semester I got a 3.8, but I didn't meet any new friends, I wasn't able to have a 'Wild Night' story. I didn't even network. So I really wasted my time and that made college boring for me. College has latent qualities. It's where I'm supposed to drink myself into a coma, make mistakes, and just live my life. Yes, It's about my education, but college is really where I feel myself out, learn from my mistakes, make memories and stories I am not supposed to tell my family about lol. So my biggest mistake freshman year is going to college and not experiencing it."
-Sierra Devoe , Wayne State University, Social Work (Grad Student)

" One mistake I made as a freshman was misuse of time literally & figuratively. To start off, not using it wisely, never having enough of it to get things done, being at the wrong place at the wrong time & not spending enough time preparing. Time was my enemy freshman year, but I learned so much during & after that time."
-Emmet Doe, Fort Valley State University, (Grad Student)

"A mistake I made was being to gullible & trusting in people. I was sexually assaulted by a very close female friend of mine after a party. I’m still apprehensive in trusting people because of it."
 -Latif Bunting, Fort Valley State University, History (Senior)

"Not going to class was definitely my biggest mistake freshmen year." 
-Peter L. , Georgia Institute of Technology, Computer Engineering (Senior)

What do you wish you would have known before starting college?

"I wish I knew about other majors. It's so many fields of studies out there and as African Americans we go into college only knowing psychology, education, social work, biology, and etc. I had no idea about other fields that would help me land a great job with just my bachelors."
-Sierra Devoe , Wayne State University, Social Work (Grad Student)

"If your serious about your major treat college & your major classes as if your already in your field, join organizations involved in your field, and network with all people in your field of study."
-Emmet Doe, Fort Valley State University, (Grad Student)

"I wish that I would have been better at studying and time management before I got to college because going from high school to Georgia tech, I was not ready for the work level that I was going to have to put in cause I had never had to do that in high school."
-Peter L. ,Georgia Institute of Technology, Computer Engineering (Senior)

"I wish I would have know how important is get to know your professor and working together with other students is much easier than working alone. I also wish I would have know that everything you do follows you."
-Tanzania Walker, Fort Valley State University, Biology(Sophomore) 

"I was naive for some odd reason. I thought that college was much different but the politics & the flow of things are just like all your other years. College is not hard to prepare for. "
 -Latif Bunting, Fort Valley State University, History (Senior)

Are there any tips you would like to share for any incoming freshmen?


"LIVE! Experience college. Go take that drink and you know you got an 8:00am exam, hang out at the student center until 1am, participate in the college activities. let yourself feel college. Of course know your limits with everything, but only way to know that is to push yourself. Know you are going to run into rejection and that is okay, just pick yourself up and keep pushing. You'll have professors, friends, advisors saying you can't do something but go after it anyway!"
 -Sierra Devoe , Wayne State University, Social Work (Grad Student) 

"Go to class, missing class doesn't help at all." 
-Peter L. ,Georgia Institute of Technology, Computer Engineering (Senior)

"Stay on your grind, be the best you possible. Don’t try to fall in love if you haven’t fell in love with yourself yet. Stay focused."
 -Latif Bunting, Fort Valley State University, History (Senior)

"I would advise freshman to be mindful of what you do at school and outside of school because it is very easier to attain a reputation, and it's very hard to recover from a bad reputation. Don't be afraid to take risk because you can do ALL things through Christ."
 -Tanzania Walker, Fort Valley State University, Biology(Sophomore)  

 

You all may notice the reoccurring theme here is that many of us became distracted and weren't prepared for our new chapter of young adulthood. I know it can be hard to focus on your own goals while you are constantly on the go and barely have time to learn about yourself and about what you feel is right for you. I'm here to tell you that it is okay to make mistakes, it is okay to want to change for the better ! Mistakes are NOT a bad thing they are simply learning experiences that make us grow into fierce intelligent beings.



I just want to thank everyone who took the time out to help me with this post! I really appreciate it, continue to be awesome carefree individuals!
Also, thank you to everyone who reads my blog and shares it with their loved ones ! 

 

No comments